I watched ‘How To Be A Tyrant’ on Netflix- Here are my lessons
Marketing Lessons from the 'How to be a Tyrant' A Netflix Series
After watching the series my only conclusion was that wicked men have walked this earth. Men will trade their morals, names, and existence for what they want.
Watching in utter shock at what men like Idi Amin of Uganda, Sadam Hussein of Iraq, and Adolf Hitler of Germany put their nations and families through just to achieve their ambitions.
Since I am a marketer, I saw that some of the lessons from the series could be useful. Check them all out below
1: Tyrants are delusional about their confidence. Their confidence drives them to do the things they did. If you cultivate unshakable confidence in yourself and your products you'll become irresistible in front of customers and resilient when things don't turn out your way.
2. Build a personality cult. The power of their brands attracted an audience to Tyrants, as they were negative personal brands. You too should build your personal brand intentionally. We now live in the era of people brands. CEOs like Tony Elumelu and Richard Branson have more followers on social media than the companies they lead.
3. Control the narrative. Tyrants use propaganda to shape public opinion, and marketers can do the same. Whether it's through PR, social media, or other channels. If you control the inflow of information you’ll control the people. Cultivate an image that serves your purpose. Recently, Vanguard newspaper and Business Day newspaper put me on their list of 50 most inspiring authors. That's me controlling my narrative, WORK THE PRESS
4. Use fear and division to your advantage. Brands that can tap into their audience's fears, discontents, and aspirations will sell more. Your customer's challenge is your scapegoat. Tyrants used this principle a lot. For IDI AMIN Uganda he deceived the Ugandan people that the reason they're poor is that Indians own all the shops, which inspired hate. By the same token, tell your clients that their problem is the scapegoat and that your product is their solution
5. Be bold and unapologetic. Tyrants are often remembered for their audacity and willingness to take risks. Dramatize your brand. The human brain likes novelty
6. Use symbolism to your advantage. From flags to logos, symbols have always been a powerful tool for communication. Create your own merchandise. Think Polo Ralph Lauren
It is recommended that you study history because it always repeats itself #HowToBeATyrant may be a chilling watch, but it is also an instructive one for marketers.
Join my next book review in my Whatsapp group for $6 or N5,000 here:
OFFER OF THE WEEK
@getbumpa: With this app, you won’t need a website anymore. You can do your invoices, sales, and sales in your DM using @getbumpa You will get a 20% discount. Click the link in my Instagram bio to get started
Podcast of the week: ‘ How to be financially free’ Podcast
YOUTUBE VIDEO: HOW TO GROW YOUR BUSINESS WITH VIDEO- Fisayo Fusudo: